Monday, September 23, 2013

Follow up on "Love You Forever"




I posted here about how much I love this book and I just learned something new about it that makes me cry even more.

Some people think the part about the mother climbing into her grown son's window is creepy.  I didn't take it literally.  I read it as, the love she has for her son as unconditional and the love a mother has for her child even when they are grown and gone.  That she still sees her baby (even as her son has grown up), and in her mind she will always be rocking that sweet, baby boy.

A friend posted a related link about the book on her facebook page and I wanted to see what it was about. 

On Robert Munsch's (the author) website he writes, 

"Love You Forever started as a song.
“I’ll love you forever,
I’ll like you for always,
as long as I’m living
my baby you’ll be.”
I made that up after my wife and I had two babies born dead. The song was my song to my dead babies. For a long time I had it in my head and I couldn’t even sing it because every time I tried to sing it I cried. It was very strange having a song in my head that I couldn’t sing."

And now it makes EVEN more sense why I love this book as much as I do.  And why I connected with it.  I felt strange in a way because I didn't get to watch my boys grow old, and go through everything that happened in the book, yet the book really hit a note with me.  And now I know why.  Because it actually came from a place of pain and grief.  So I no longer feel silly finding comfort in my grief with this book.  I no longer feel silly for crying every time I read it.  Thank you Robert Munsch for being brave enough to tell the story behind the song and book.  


You can see his page here

No comments:

Post a Comment