Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Bereaved Mother's Day


Bereaved Mother's Day was this past Sunday, a day to honor the mothers that have lost a child.  

I posted one of the pictures and tagged the mama warriors that I know on my facebook page.  I was immediately distraught when I was over 10 women.  I know over 20 women that have lost a child, and that breaks my heart.

I also learned about the actual history of the holiday (Mother's day). Anna Jarvis  founded the day to honor her own mother, 3 years after she had passed away (1908).  A mother who had also lost 7 children.

Mother's Day is near impossible for me to get through.  I am a mother.  I will always be their mother. But a day where all the other mom's get to go out for brunch, or dinner to celebrate being a mother. It's almost like salt in the wound.  

My husband took me out to a Mother's Day brunch that first year, and I felt funny. I know people were looking at us funny wondering where our children were or what we were doing there.  A table for 2? On Mother's day?  If you don't believe me, try it once.

I'm going to try and get through the day, but I know it's not going to be easy.  I'm definitely up for suggestions if you have anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment